What tempts people so much that they are willing to expose every secretive, embarrassing and personal aspect of their lives to millions of people? Most of the time, people watch reality TV because it is so ridiculous and people like to get a good laugh from it. So why put yourself through that? Well, my guess is simple. Fame and fortune can drive people to do just about anything.
I was surprised to find out that most reality TV starts don’t actually make as much money as I thought. Typically, it’s just an average salary. (Unless, of course you’re a Kardashian or a popular “housewife”)
When I stumbled upon these salaries it made me really wonder if it was actually worth it. For a Kardashian or Housewife salary sure I would make a fool of myself on TV, but for $30,000 a season before taxes? I don’t know if that’s for me.
But then I started to really think about it. That’s not really all they are getting. They are getting opportunities. After a successful season, theses “stars” get upwards of $20,000 just to make an appearance somewhere or even to tweet about a product. In addition to this, these people now have connections to establish themselves in a lot of different ways. In other words, you can take something you’re actually passionate about, and turn it into something successful that has longevity.
For example, I was watching one of my favorite shows, Vanderpump rules, and I noticed Stassi (one of the main “characters”) always has on really cool necklaces that made her outfits so elegant and fun. I started googling “Stassi from vanderpump rules necklaces” and found out that she has her own fashion blog and collaboration on a jewelry line. I immediately filled up a cart with cool jewelry and now check her blog regularly. If I had to bet, she wouldn’t of had these opportunities if it hadn’t of been for her show.
Reality TV typically only gives you the 15 minutes of fame. However, if you play your cards right, you could end up making a successful business for yourself just like these people did:
- Lauren Conrad- Show: MTVs Laguna Beach and The Hills Business-Author, designer, spokeswoman
- Jillian Micheals- Show: The Biggest Loser Business- DVD workouts, diet pills, author established the company Empowered Media
- Bethany Frankel-Show- The Real Housewives: New York Business- Skinny Girl Drink products and author
- Kat Von D- Show- Miami Ink Business- Make-up line at Sephora
- Snooki- Show- The Jersey Shore Business- Soda product and beauty products
- Do I even have to mention what the Kardashians have??